69 AND 71, MICKLEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1257312
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
69 AND 71, MICKLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 69 AND 71, MICKLEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257312 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:30:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
69 AND 71, MICKLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59917 51606

Details

YORK

SE5951NE MICKLEGATE 1112-1/15/659 (South side) 14/06/54 Nos.69 AND 71

GV II*

Two houses, now one shop. Early C17; largely rebuilt c1745; further alterations and extension in C19 and C20. Mid C18 alterations for Rev Philemon Marsh, Rector of Church of St Martin-cum-Gregory (qv). MATERIALS: timber-framed, now encased in brick, in Flemish bond, painted at front; plain parapet with stone coping masks parallel roofs, gabled to street, each with brick stack at rear; rear wing to No.69 has hipped slate roof; rear wing to No.71 not visible. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-window front. Ground floor of both properties occupied by fluted pilaster and cornice shopfronts with glazed doors recessed between half-canted plate glass windows. All upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes beneath painted flat arches of gauged brick with painted stone sills. End and centre windows on second floor are blind. 1-course raised bands at second floor and parapet levels. Original rainwater goods at right end, with unicorn crest of the Marshes on rectangular hopper. Rear: No.71 has tripartite sash window with 16-pane centre sash. Other window on first and second floors of both houses have segmental arches. Rainwater head dated 1674. INTERIOR: remnants of timber-frame visible on ground floor at rear of both front rooms; and on first floor, in rear room of No.71 which has possible studded partition wall. Ground floor. In No.69, cantilevered staircase with column on vase balusters and moulded swept-up handrail on turned newel rises to first floor around full-height well. Well lined with corresponding dado panelling and rail, and lit by lantern in coved ceiling with moulded dentil cornice. Rear room has C17 panelling reset over C19 fireplace and on left and rear walls, and moulded cornice. In No.71, single fluted pilaster respond to former arch survives at foot of transverse staircase: remnants of moulded and dentil cornices survive in both front and back rooms. First floor. Close string secondary staircase in No.69, originally rising from ground floor, has turned balusters, moulded handrail and square newels. At head of principal staircase is keyed round arch on pilaster responds with moulded imposts. Front room has moulded cornice and cased axial beam. Rear room has door of 8 raised and fielded panels. In No.71, close string staircase with stick balusters and turned newel rises to second floor, boxed in below with re-used C17 panelling and door forming under stair closet. 8-panel door leads to front room which has cased intersecting axial and transverse beams carried on fluted Doric column.

Moulded cornice survives in rear room. Second floor. In No.69, secondary staircase balustrade carried across main staircase well; 6-panel door to front room. C19 basket grate in passage of No.71. In both front rooms C18 plank floor boards are retained. C17 gabled roofs cut across end and centre windows inserted during C18 re-fronting. Properties unoccupied at time of survey. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 79-80).

Listing NGR: SE5991851604

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
464015
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 79-80

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03346/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].