39 AND 41, MICKLEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257326

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1971

Statutory Address: 39 AND 41, MICKLEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 39 AND 41, MICKLEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257326 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 23:28:40.

Location

Statutory Address: 39 AND 41, MICKLEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60025 51621

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW MICKLEGATE 1112-1/28/644 (South side) 19/08/71 Nos.39 AND 41

GV II

House and shop, now shop, offices and flats. 1835. By JB and W Atkinson for Mr Varvill. Dark mottled brick in Flemish bond on rusticated ground floor and plinth of painted stone; painted timber eaves cornice on grooved consoles, returned at each end of slate roof; brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-window front. To left, recessed upper floor entrance door of 4 moulded panels beneath margin-glazed overlight, approached by three steps, in plain pilaster and cornice doorcase. 12-pane sash window with slender glazing bars and painted sill to right. Further right, shopfront of plain pilasters with moulded imposts and plain cornice: glazed double doors to right of 3-light shop window with moulded glazing bars over sunk panel risers. On first floor, windows are 12-pane sashes, two of which have 1-pane replacement lower sashes. On second floor, to left, one original unequal 9-pane sash; to right, C20 replacement casement windows, all with painted stone sills. Raised first floor sill band. First and second floor windows have flat arches of gauged brick. From 1837 to 1851, No.39 was the office of JB and W Atkinson, architects. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: South-west of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 126).



Listing NGR: SE6002251620

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463988

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 126

End of official listing