This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257367



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Rother

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Peasmarsh

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463986

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1917/15/10012 Wheelwrights


House. Late C16, refronted and extended in mid C18 and further remodelled and extended in 1937 -8 for Mr Hampson by E Blunden Shadbolt. A complex building, timberframed, clad in weatherboarding to north, tile hung to west and other elevations brick and timberframed with plaster infi1l. Tiled roof with brick chimneystacks. Irregular building of two storeys and attics with early C20 casement windows with leaded lights. North front weatherboarded on brick plinth. One gabled dormer. External C18 parlour chimneystack to east. Casement windows with leaded lights. Original central doorcase replaced by window. Lean-to to west. Brick and tile hung one storey kitchen wing to west is C18 or early C19. E Blunden Shadbolt added a fanciful stretcher bond brick and timberframed wing to south east including two water tanks, bedroom and loggia on ground floor. This has gambrel roof, external stack and ornamental hoist. Other elevations altered with much exposed framing. Interior has dining room with C16 open fireplace with wooden bressumer and exposed floor joists and spine beam with chamfer and lambs tongue stops. Drawing room has bressumer with roll-moulded beam ending in leaf moulding, possibly introduced. Parlour fireplace is C18 but has fireback of 1650. C17 panelled doors and minstrels gallery and two staircases substantially by E Blunden Shadbolt. First floor has some C16 curved braces but many upright posts have C18 cut profile. C18 roof of pegged rafters with collar beams. [see The Thirties Society Journal no 31982 p23.]

The entry for Wheelwrights, Peasmarsh has been deleted from the third list for the District of Rother by virtue of the 14th amendment.

Listing NGR: TQ8804623222

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Thirties Society Journal' in The Thirties Society Journal, (1982), 23

National Grid Reference: TQ 88045 23220


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257367 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 05:40:44.

End of official listing