Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257385.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Dec-2021 at 21:04:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SE 59763 52128



SE5952SE MARYGATE 1112-1/12/631 (West side) No.68 The Bay Horse


Public house. 1893-94 with C20 alteration. By WG Penty. Red brick in English garden-wall bond, the first floor partly tile hung, partly faced with planted timber-framing: ground floor door and window surrounds are of ashlar: plain tile roof and tall external brick stacks with brick corbel cornices. EXTERIOR: 2-storey front of 3 gabled bays: at right end, 2-storey half octagonal tower fills angle between end gable and external stack on right return. Entrance through porch within quoined and moulded round arch. At rear is sunk panelled door in architrave with incised shouldered head beside fixed square latticed light, both in quoined surround stepped up over door head to enclose panel inscribed: "BUILT 1894". Porch is flanked by 4-light mullioned windows over moulded and sloped sillstring: windows are sashes of which the upper is square latticed, the lower plain. On first floor, centre window is square bay, coved beneath, the outer ones canted bays on shaped brackets: all are of 5 timber mullioned and transomed lights with square lattice glazing. Gables are filled with decorative framing, each one different. Porch surround and first floor plate incorporate carved bosses of various designs. Over the porch is a moulded metal plate embossed with the name "BAY HORSE". Tower has pointed roof with overhanging eaves on shaped brackets. Windows are banded at the head of each storey: those on ground floor are single square latticed lights in moulded stone surrounds over sloped and moulded sillstring: on first floor, 3-light diamond leaded lights with timber mullions. Right return: 2 storeys, 5 bays; 2 bays are gabled and divided by tall extruded stacks. Doors are sunk panelled with inserted lights. Ground floor windows are of 1, 2 or 5 transomed pivoting lights. First floor windows are squatter: three are of 3 mullioned and transomed lights, and one 1-light, one 2-light without transoms. All glazing is square latticed. Stack towards the front has inset ashlar panel carved in low relief with a cartouche enclosing prancing horse. INTERIOR: on ground floor original room arrangement survives, though with later opening-up. Original features include the bar and two timber fireplaces with overmantels. One framed in fluted pilasters has a carved panel of a Bay Horse dated 1898. Staircase has close string and turned balusters. HISTORICAL NOTE: the Bay Horse replaced an earlier public house of the same name built against the wall of St Mary's Abbey, Museum Gardens opposite (qv), demolished as insanitary in 1895.

(Murray H, Riddick S & Green R: York through the Eyes of the Artist: York City Art Gallery: 1990-: 59).

Listing NGR: SE5975952131


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Murray, H, Riddick, S, Green, R, York Through the Eyes of the Artist, (1990), 59


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04904/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].