Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257397

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 97, LOW PETERGATE


Ordnance survey map of 97, LOW PETERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257397 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 16:57:01.


Statutory Address: 97, LOW PETERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60413 51977


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/28/610 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.97


Formerly known as: No.5 TONGS COURT. House, now restaurant. Early C18 with earlier origins; extensively altered in C19, and further alteration and extension in C20; altered C19 shopfront. MATERIALS: orange brick, in Flemish bond at front, stretcher bond at rear; timber modillion cornice; brick stacks and gabled dormer with 2x4-pane casement window to pantile roof. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 2-window front. Shopfront has glazed and panelled double doors on each side of 2-light shop window, beneath moulded cornice on elongated console brackets. First and second floor windows are 1-pane sashes with painted stone sills and flat arches of gauged brick. Rear: 3 storeys and attic; 2 windows. Ground floor obscured by C20 extension. First and second floor windows are 4-pane sashes with flat arches of soldier bricks. INTERIOR: extensive fragments of timber-framing are visible in ground and second floor partition walls in rear part. Ground floor: in left rear room, brick fireplace with timber lintel. First floor: in front room, coved plaster ceiling cornice survives. Second floor: original staircase survives to attic, with moulded close string, slender turned balusters, square newels with attached half balusters, and moulded handrail. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 197-9).

Listing NGR: SE6041351977


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463934

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 197-9

End of official listing