Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257401.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 23:06:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60485 52804



SE6052NW LOWTHER STREET 1112-1/8/612 (North side) Church of St Thomas


Parish church. 1853-54. By George Fowler Jones. MATERIALS: squared limestone with tooled stone dressings and moulded plinth string; slate roofs with stone copings, crocket finials, vestry stack and lead cresting. STYLE: Gothic Revival. PLAN: 2-bay chancel with north vestry; 2-bay north and south transepts; 3-bay nave and west bellcote. EXTERIOR: gabled east end has 3-light window with attenuated quatrefoils in the 2-centred head. Transepts have 2-light windows separated by central buttress, with multi-foiled circular light in gable apex: returns have single windows. Nave is buttressed with single light to each bay. Central bay of gabled west end projects slightly and supports gabled bellcote with crocketed gable cross. West doorway, flanked by 1-light windows, is 2-centred filleted moulded arch with attached jamb shafts and board double doors on elaborate scrolled hinges. Above, west window of 2 trefoiled lights with attenuated quatrefoil in 2-centred head is set back over weathered tabling. West door and window have hoodmoulds with foliate stops. In gable apex is sunk quatrefoil set in chamfered circular surround. Gabled bellcote is of paired trefoil headed lights. Building is buttressed diagonally by 3-stage squat buttresses. Windows are trefoil headed diamond latticed lancets in quoined and chamfered surrounds with sloped sills. Moulded sillstring, stopped with foliate boss on each side of west door, encircles building. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6048552804


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15192/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].