Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1257424

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: 79, LOW PETERGATE


Ordnance survey map of 79, LOW PETERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257424 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 00:00:42.


Statutory Address: 79, LOW PETERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60369 52015


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6052SW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/27/603 (South West side) 14/06/54 No.79


Formerly known as: No.49 LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop. Early C15, extensively altered and refronted later; extended into C16 rear block shared with Nos 73, 75 and 77 (qv); altered C19 shopfront. Front block 2 bays deep extended by linking passage into 1-bay extension. Both parts timber-framed, front block stuccoed at front and rear, extension rendered brick; timber shopfront; pantile roof with brick stack. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and attic; 1-bay gabled front, with jettied first and second floors. Shopfront framed in panelled pilasters with rosettes and grooved brackets at the head beneath plain fascia: half-canted plate glass windows over moulded panel risers flank glazed and panelled door. Window on first floor is canted oriel with 16-pane sash; on second floor, 20-pane sash; in attic, paired 4-pane fixed lights. Winged cherub rainwater head dated 1763 to left. Rear: rear of front block is gabled with cross-braced crown post truss exposed in gable end. Rear of extension 2 storeys and attic, and gabled; C20 door and 4-pane sash window on ground floor; 16-pane sash on second floor; 9-pane fixed light to attic. INTERIOR: posts, wall-plates and wall studding are visible in places throughout all parts of building. Ground floor: hearth with timber bressumer in shop; fireplace with timber lintel in back room. First floor: staircase balustrade on landing has thick turned balusters, column newel and bowed moulded handrail. Rear room has fireplace with decorated basket grate in plain surround with moulded shelf. Second floor: similar fireplace as on first floor, with later round-headed grate. Attic: crown post truss survives in front wall: intermediate truss altered to kerb principals. Massive brick firehood survives. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 196).

Listing NGR: SE6036952015


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463921

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 196

End of official listing