THE ADAMS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1257433

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: THE ADAMS HOUSE, 52, LOW PETERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE ADAMS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257433 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:55:33.

Location

Statutory Address: THE ADAMS HOUSE, 52, LOW PETERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60347 52084

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/27/586 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.52 The Adams House

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.75 The Adam's House LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop. Dated 1772, converted to shop later. For the Dean and Chapter. Orange-brown brick in Flemish bond on slate veneer plinth; timber shopfront, doorcases and cornice; slate roof with stone copings and brick stacks: rooflight at rear. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 4-window front. To right, door of 6 raised panels and patterned radial fanlight in round-arched architrave are recessed in panelled reveal of original doorcase with pilaster jambs, fluted impost band and dentilled cornice on attenuated grooved brackets. Replica door and doorcase inserted in blocked former carriage arch to left. Both doors approached by flights of moulded steps. 3-light shop window has similar surround with plain entablature. Windows on first floor are 12-pane sashes with painted stone sill band; on second floor, squat 6-pane sashes with painted stone sills: all have flat arches of orange gauged brick. Dentilled and modillioned moulded cornice, returned at right end, has dated inverted bell rainwater head, surmounted by the elephant crest of Dean Fountayne. Rear: staircase sash window with Gothick glazing. Other windows are various sashes, squat on second floor, with cambered arches. Some windows blocked. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM record principal and secondary staircases with turned balusters. First floor front room has fireplace with side scrolls and frieze enriched with paterae and fluting; moulded cornice. Many other rooms retain original cornices and fireplaces. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 187).



Listing NGR: SE6034652085

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463894

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 187

End of official listing