Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257443.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2020 at 19:42:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60264 51646



SE6051NW LOW OUSEGATE 1112-1/28/571 (South side) 24/06/83 Nos.1 AND 1A (Formerly Listed as: LOW OUSEGATE No.1)


House with shop. 1810-20 with later alteration and C20 shopfront; exterior renovated in 1992. Orange-grey brick in Flemish bond with window arches of orange gauged brick; river front on limestone plinth. Timber mutule eaves cornice, returned on right front to slate hipped roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: Low Ousegate front 3 storeys, 3 windows. At left end are paired doorcases of shaped-panel pilasters and bracketed console cornices, consoles and brackets carved as acanthus leaves: doors of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath tall overlights approached by stone steps. Shopfront to right, returned on river front. First floor windows are 12-pane sashes, those on second floor unequal 9-pane sashes, all with stone sills and flat arches of brick. At right end of cornice, a fluted bowl rainwater head. River front of 3 storeys and basement on chamfered plinth; 5 windows. Plinth has paired plank doors beneath heavy tooled lintel to right of centre, and further right a blocked opening with shaped lintel. Basement has four 16-pane sashes. In centre of upper floors are 2 tall round-headed staircase windows with brick archivolts, each breaking through 2 storeys. Flanking windows on ground and first floors are 12-pane sashes, and on second floor unequal 9-pane sashes, all with flat arches. All windows have stone sills. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 157).

Listing NGR: SE6026451643


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 157


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05207/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].