This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

41 AND 43, LOW PETERGATE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 41 AND 43, LOW PETERGATE

List entry Number: 1257454

Location

41 AND 43, LOW PETERGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463880

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW LOW PETERGATE 1112-1/27/580 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.41 AND 43

GV II*

Formerly known as: No.34 LOW PETERGATE. House, now shop and offices. Late C14, with early C18 alteration and extension; further alteration in C20. Timber-framed front range, fronted in whitewashed plaster, with timber cornice; rear extension of orange brick in stretcher bond with partly rendered upper floor; timber shopfront with brick riser; pantile roof and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 1-window front with jettied first and second floors. C20 shopfront has shallow small-pane bow window with door in right return: recessed at right end is panelled upstairs door. Windows on first floor are tripled 12-pane sashes; on second floor, paired 16-pane sashes. Moulded eaves cornice has elaborate moulded rainwater head with embossed rosettes at left end. Rear: 3 storeys, 2 bays, right bay projecting. Left bay has round-headed staircase window and squat 12-pane sash window above. Windows in right bay altered but retaining segmental brick arches. INTERIOR: substantial remains of timber-frame survive. Ground floor: in shop, 2-panel cellar door survives. First floor: re-arranged staircase to second floor has close string, turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. Front and back rooms on first and second floors retain C17 and C18 panelling and 3- and 5-panel doors. Graffiti dates window in first floor front room to 1769, in second floor front room to 1761. Attic stair is of the ladder type. Roof to front range has crown post trusses with longitudinal braces. (Cooper TP: The Old Inns and Inn Signs of York: York: 1898-: 19-21; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 193).



Listing NGR: SE6031152081

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 193
Cooper, T P , The Old Inns and Inn Signs of York, (1898), 19-21

National Grid Reference: SE 60311 52081

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 07:46:11.

End of official listing