NUMBER 26 AND THE LENDAL CELLARS PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257472

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1988

Statutory Address: NUMBER 26 AND THE LENDAL CELLARS PUBLIC HOUSE, 26, LENDAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 26 AND THE LENDAL CELLARS PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 13:39:37.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 26 AND THE LENDAL CELLARS PUBLIC HOUSE, 26, LENDAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60103 51926

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW LENDAL 1112-1/28/553 (South West side) 09/02/88 No.26 and The Lendal Cellars Public House

GV II

Wine merchant's premises; now offices and public house. Early C19 with later C19 extension, incorporating late C17 and mid C18 cellars; altered C20. Red brick in stretcher bond, mostly cement rendered; timber porch; cement-tiled roofs with brick stacks. Building of 2 parallel ranges over 3 ranges of cellars. EXTERIOR: 1 storey with cellars; 2-bay front, left bay with eaves band to hipped roof and iron corner scrolls, right bay gabled. Left bay has stone steps up to doorway and tripartite sash window with glazing bars to left. Right bay has flat canopy porch over steps down to segment-arched cellar entrance, and large C20 casement on ground floor. INTERIOR: of cellars: three parallel ranges of segment-arched brick vaults with groined intersections, first two with stone flagged floors, third with brick floor. Third range retains stone barrel thrawls and slate bin partitions. Wall between second and third ranges raised on stone foundations, probably vestigial remains of former Augustinian Friary occupying the site from 1272-1538. The premises were subsequently occupied by Messrs J and G Oldfield, Wine Merchants of York, from 1644. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 50).





Listing NGR: SE6010351926

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463821

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 50

End of official listing