EAST LODGE OF LENDAL BRIDGE LENDAL BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257475
Date first listed:
01-Jul-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
EAST LODGE OF LENDAL BRIDGE, MUSEUM STREET
Statutory Address:
LENDAL BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSES, LENDAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of EAST LODGE OF LENDAL BRIDGE
LENDAL BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 12:20:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
EAST LODGE OF LENDAL BRIDGE, MUSEUM STREET
Statutory Address:
LENDAL BRIDGE AND ATTACHED TOLLHOUSES, LENDAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 59984 51924

Details

YORK

SE5951NE LENDAL 1112-1/15/9 Lendal Bridge and attached 01/07/68 tollhouses (Formerly Listed as: Lendal Bridge)

GV II

Includes: East Lodge of Lendal Bridge MUSEUM STREET. Bridge, abutments and approach ramps; flight of steps attached to east abutment on upstream side; tollhouse attached to each end of bridge on downstream side; balustraded garden railings attached to west bank tollhouse. 1861-63; strengthened 1910. By Thomas Page; stonework by George Milburn. MATERIALS: cast-iron bridge; abutment and approach ramp parapets of ashlar; stone steps on cast-iron frame. Tollhouses rusticated sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; Welsh and stone slate roofs with conjoined stone stacks; cast-iron railings. EXTERIOR: single-span bridge between abutments pierced on each bank by carriage arches. Arch is elliptical with traceried spandrels and parapet pierced by quatrefoils incorporating armorial shields over band of heraldic badges. In centre of parapet a branched gas lamp standard of clustered octagonal columns with ogee caps supporting tapered lanterns with pennant finials and angel terminal. On west bank, chamfered elliptical carriage arch pierces abutment; on east bank, carriage arch is closed by board doors. Parapet to abutments and approaches has sloped roll-moulded coping, embattled above west bank arch, and octagonal piers with coved moulded cornices and shallow stepped octagonal caps. Flight of steps on east bank has framework of twisted columns on tall chamfered square section pedestals, arcaded balustrade of cusped pointed arches on octagonal colonnettes tied by band of pierced quatrefoils, and moulded handrail. Tollhouses: 1 storey, 2 bays at bridge level, with 3-stage octagonal tower rising at rear from river bank level. East tollhouse is gabled, the west one embattled; towers are machicolated and embattled with conjoined stacks. Bridge front of each tollhouse has an ogee-arched doorway beneath hoodmould on shield stops, and square-headed mullioned window of two trefoil-headed lights recessed in quoined surround. On river side, each has 4-light oriel window with half-hexagonal roof. Windows are diamond lattice glazed, and mullions and openings are hollow-chamfered. West bank tollhouse has arcaded balustrade railings, similar to those on east bank steps, to small side garden. INTERIOR: tollhouses not inspected. (Bartholomew City Guides: Hutchinson J and Palliser DM: York: Edinburgh: 1980-: 160).

Listing NGR: SE5998451924

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463826
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hutchinson, J, Palliser, D M, 'Bartholomew City Guides' in York, (1980), 160

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04547/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].