This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 2, LENDAL

List entry Number: 1257482



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463796

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW LENDAL 1112-1/28/544 (South West side) 24/06/83 No.2


Congregational chapel; now restaurant, shops and amusement arcade. 1816; converted and altered 1929, and later. By JP Pritchett. Orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor at front rendered; timber modillion cornice; truncated pyramidal roof of slate. EXTERIOR: 2-storey 5-bay front, centre 3 bays projecting and pedimented. Central entrance beneath semicircular hood between segment-headed fixed light windows: outer bays have renewed double doors beneath segment-headed overlights: all except main door have segmental brick arches. Round-headed windows on upper floor have semicircular arches of rubbed brick and three tiers of mullioned 4-pane lights. Pediment has blind oculus in tympanum. Rear: basement and 2 storeys; 5 bays with hemi-domed apse to three centre bays. Apse has round-arched windows on ground floor with sunk rectangular panels above. Ground and first floor windows in flanking bays are 4-pane mullioned lights, those on first floor in two tiers. Windows on ground floor have painted stone sills, those on first floor painted stone sill band returned from side elevation. Left return: 2 storeys, with basement beneath rear bays; 5 bays. Ground and first floor windows correspond to those on rear elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. Chapel was closed for worship in 1929. (Royle E: Nonconformity in C19 York: York: 1985-: 4; City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 54).

Listing NGR: SE6006451982

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 54
Royle, E, 'Borthwick Papers' in Nonconformity In C19 York, (1985), 4

National Grid Reference: SE 60064 51982


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257482 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 09:33:30.

End of official listing