JUDGES LODGING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1257487

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: JUDGES LODGING, 9, LENDAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUDGES LODGING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257487 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 01:45:52.

Location

Statutory Address: JUDGES LODGING, 9, LENDAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60115 52002

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW LENDAL 1112-1/27/547 (North East side) 14/06/54 No.9 Judge's Lodging

GV I

Formerly known as: The Judge's Lodging LENDEL. Town house and steps attached to front; now hotel. c1715; later C18 service wing, extended in early C19, raised c1840; second extension of 1936. For Dr Clifton Wintringham. MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond on chamfered brick basement; stone doorcase; right return of red-brown brick in stretcher bond; brick stacks to tiled roof of two parallel hipped ranges. Service wing of red-brown brick in Flemish bond, extended in stretcher bond, raised in pink-cream brick in Flemish garden wall variant; doorcase and cornice of timber; tiled roof with brick stacks. Front steps of red brick in Flemish bond with stone treads and cast-iron railings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, basement and attic; 3 unequal bays, articulated by plain pilasters, centre bay projecting: to right, lower 3-storey 5-bay service wing: to left, 1-storey 2-bay extension. Double flight of curved steps with plain railings and handrail leads to main entrance in centre of ground floor. Ionic Venetian arch, set beneath carved swag in stone screen, contains glazed and panelled door flanked by 8-pane sashes. Arch keystone carved as mask of Aesculapius. Windows in outer bays on ground floor and all windows on first floor are unequal 15-pane sashes with cambered arches of gauged brick, triple keyblocks and sills of painted stone. Attic windows are squat 3x2-pane lights above broad stepped brick band interrupted by stone window sills. Centre windows on first and attic floors have triple-keyed fasciated architraves of stone, first floor one eared, with moulded stone sill and apron. Brick parapet with flat stone coping masks roof. Service wing has open pedimented central doorcase of plain pilasters with moulded imposts and door of 6 fielded panels beneath radial fanlight. Windows are 12-pane sashes with slightly cambered brick arches: two on each side flank door on ground floor and blank centre bay on first floor; 3 windows on second floor are arranged symmetrically. Prominent moulded and pulvinated eaves cornice. Extension to left has doors in both bays and rainwater goods dated 1936. INTERIOR: ground floor: entrance hall flanked by fluted Corinthian columns with enriched entablature: marbled stone fireplace with panel overmantel. Rear left room: lined with raised and fielded panelling beneath moulded cornice enriched with egg-and-dart: panelled shutters: stone fireplace with fasciated surround, cast-iron grate and bolection moulded overmantel framed by fluted Ionic pilasters and entablature. Rear right room: lined with fielded panelling in attached

surrounds beneath cornice enriched with acanthus and palmette, bead and reel, and egg and flower mouldings: panelled shutters and window seat: marbled stone fireplace with cast-iron grate and panelled overmantel flanked by sunk panel pilasters with moulded capitals and entablature. Front right room: lined in raised and fielded panelling: panelled shutters: pulvinated frieze and moulded cornice to coved ceiling: stone fireplace with moulded surround and panelled overmantel flanked by panelled pilasters. Main staircase rises from ground to first floor with cantilevered treads, fluted Ionic column balusters and moulded serpentine handrail wreathed at foot around fluted column newel on shaped curtail step: sunk-panelled dado. Lit by Ionic Venetian window with full entablature. Secondary staircase rises from ground floor to attics with close string, column-on-vase balusters and plain handrail. First floor: panelled plaster ceiling over main staircase has groined coving springing from acanthus corbels with wheatear pendants and quatrefoil centre panel. Panelled round-arched openings lead to main corridor with groin-vaulted ceiling and 6 panel doors in panelled reveals. Rear left room: bolection moulded panelling and moulded cornice of modillions and paterae: panelled shutters: fireplace with egg-and-dart surround, moulded cornice shelf and cast-iron grate. Rear right room: sunk-panelled dado beneath moulded dado rail: panelled shutters and window seats: moulded dentilled cornice: fireplace with carved surround, moulded cornice shelf and basket grate. Front room: lined in bolection moulded panelling above moulded dado rail and fielded and sunk dado panelling: shutters and window seats of raised and fielded panels: moulded cornice: stone fasciated fireplace with cast-iron grate. Attic: ceilings are deeply coved. Some 2-panel doors survive. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 152).

Listing NGR: SE6011552002

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463804

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 152

End of official listing