THE WAGGON AND HORSES PUBLIC HOUSE (NUMBER 19)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257498

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: THE WAGGON AND HORSES PUBLIC HOUSE (NUMBER 19), 17 AND 19, LAWRENCE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WAGGON AND HORSES PUBLIC HOUSE (NUMBER 19)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 14:52:40.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WAGGON AND HORSES PUBLIC HOUSE (NUMBER 19), 17 AND 19, LAWRENCE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 61176 51384

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6151SW LAWRENCE STREET 1112-1/23/531 (North side) 24/06/83 Nos.17 AND 19 The Waggon and Horses Public House (No.19)

II

House, now house and public house. 1773, with early C19 additions and late C19 alterations. Brick in Flemish bond, partly rendered and painted. Concrete tile roof. EXTERIOR: the original house, at the left, is of 2 storeys plus attic and 3 bays. The 2 left-hand bays are of exposed brick and have sashed windows with segmental arches, and a brick storey band. The central bay has a doorcase with fluted pilasters, console brackets, a dentilled open pediment, and a fanlight. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The right-hand bay is covered by painted render and has a sashed window on the 1st floor and a horizontal sash with glazing bars to the attic dormer. On the ground floor there is a public house frontage which extends to the right for the full width of the lower right-hand addition. It has a timber fascia and cornice with end pilasters as well as pilasters flanking the doorway, and is glazed with etched glass above timber panelling. On the 1st floor the addition has a sashed window. At the far right there is a further addition, with a carriage entrance on the ground floor and a 1st floor wall of exposed brick supported by a timber lintel, with a pair of sashed windows. 2 chimneys on ridge of original house, and 3rd chimney on gable of 1st addition. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 81).





Listing NGR: SE6117651384

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463778

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 81

End of official listing