ELLEN WILSON HOSPITAL, NUMBERS 1-6 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257510
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1983
Statutory Address:
ELLEN WILSON HOSPITAL, NUMBERS 1-6 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, 1-6, LAWRENCE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELLEN WILSON HOSPITAL, NUMBERS 1-6 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257510 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 13:32:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
ELLEN WILSON HOSPITAL, NUMBERS 1-6 (CONSECUTIVE) AND ATTACHED WALLS AND RAILINGS, 1-6, LAWRENCE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 61198 51328

Details

YORK

SE6151SW LAWRENCE STREET 1112-1/23/540 (South side) 24/06/83 Ellen Wilson Hospital, Nos.1-6 (consec) and attached walls and railings

GV II

Range of 6 almshouses. Dated 1894. By AS Ellis of Westminster. Red brick with bands of sandstone ashlar, and sandstone ashlar dressings. Plain tile roof. EXTERIOR: single storey. Symmetrical facade with 6 canted bay windows and 3 doorways: one doorway is in the centre under a Dutch gable, the left-hand doorway is to the right of the left-hand window, and the right-hand doorway is to the left of the right-hand window. The canted bay windows are of stone on brick bases and have 2 lights facing forwards and one to each side, all with transoms. They are ovolo-moulded and have leaded glazing, ogee tops to the upper lights, and flat roofs with cornices. The lower openings to left and right are iron casements. The doorways have moulded surrounds, with mouldings which form an ogee shape on the lintels, and they have small flanking lights. The central doorway is set into a slight projection which rises to a moulded cornice which carries a Dutch gable. The pediment is carried on Ionic pilasters which framing a plaque inscribed: 'ELLEN WILSON HOSPITAL AD 1894'. In the centre of the ridge there is a louvred cupola with an ogee lead cap and a wind vane pierced with the initial 'W'. 2 chimneys on ridge, and chimneys on both gables, which are coped. The right-hand (north) gable includes a plaque at the apex which is inscribed 'W 1894'. INTERIOR: not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: bordering the pavement to the north there are iron spike railings set into sandstone copings, with braced spike standards, and with a pair of gate piers. These are of brick with sandstone banding, of square plan with pyramid caps which have a band of castellated decoration. At their western end the railings are joined to the almshouses by a brick wall.

Listing NGR: SE6119851328

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463790
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Apr 2001
Reference: IOE01/03346/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].