5 AND 6, KINGS COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257518
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
5 AND 6, KINGS COURT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 5 AND 6, KINGS COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257518.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2019 at 07:47:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
5 AND 6, KINGS COURT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60432 51923

Details

YORK

SE6051NW KING'S COURT 1112-1/28/519 (North West side) 14/06/54 Nos.5 AND 6

GV II

Formerly known as: Nos 5 and 6 and No.5 PUMP COURT KING'S COURT. House, now offices. Rear ranges C16, front block mid C18, rebuilt and restored 1951. Front of orange-brown brick in Flemish bond, with timber eaves cornice; pantile roofs with brick stack. Rear ranges timber-framed, ground and first floors now encased in pink mottled brick in stretcher bond, second floor infilling rendered. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Central 6-panel door with radial fanlight in pilastered round-arched architrave recessed in panelled reveals of Doric doorcase of attached columns, triglyph frieze blocks, dentilled cornice and open pediment. All windows are 12-pane sashes with narrow stone sills and flat arches of brick. 3-course raised brick second floor band. Dentilled eaves frieze beneath moulded modillion cornice. Elaborate rainwater heads to left, dated 1951, initialled YC, and to right, dated 1755, initialled HR: square section rainwater goods on rosette clamps. Left return: 3 storeys 6 bays, with moulded bressumers to first and second floor jetties. Towards right end, glazed and panelled door to left of cantilevered bay window with small-pane glazing; towards left end panelled door to right of unequal 6-pane sash window. Other windows are 2x9-pane horizontal sliding sashes. Windows on first floor are paired 12-pane sashes with 8-pane sash at left end; on second floor, 1-, 2- and 3-light 6-pane casements. Minimal framing exposed on ground and first floors. INTERIOR: stone-walled cellar retains squat posts with massive jowled heads raised on lime-washed quatrefoil column drums on square bases, and chamfered axial and transverse beams. Substantial remains of framing survive on upper floors of rear range bays adjacent to front block. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 150).



Listing NGR: SE6043251923

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463756
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 150

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/15192/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].