Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1257537

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997



Ordnance survey map of COLLINGWOOD HOTEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257537 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 06:48:11.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 58750 51344


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE55SE HOLGATE ROAD 1112-1/1/501 (South side) 24/06/83 No.163 Collingwood Hotel (Formerly Listed as: HOLGATE ROAD No.163 Holgate House)


House, now hotel. c1775 with early and late C19 alterations. Brick in Flemish bond with hipped plain tile roofs. EXTERIOR: main block symmetrical, of 3 storeys and 3 bays, with 2-storey one-bay wings to left and right. The main block has 2 brick storey bands. Its windows are glazing bar sashes. On the ground floor there are canted bay windows with cornices, on brick bases. The upper windows have painted brick flat arches. The late C19 brick porch has round-headed windows in its side walls, and a cornice and blocking course. It has a re-set C18 doorcase which has fluted Doric pilasters with attached narrow pilaster strips, console brackets, a cornice hood, and a semicircular overlight. The door has 6 raised and fielded panels. The gutter cornice is dentilled and modillioned. The left-hand (east) wing has a sashed window on the ground floor and a glazing bar sash on the 1st floor. It appears to be an early C19 rebuilding of an earlier annexe. The right-hand wing has glazing bar sashes, the head of the ground-floor one cutting through a brick band. To the right is a narrow late C19 addition under a separate hipped slate roof. Its front wall is blind, but has a recess at ground-floor level. Chimneys with rebuilt stacks to left of main block and placed axially to right of ridge. Other chimneys visible to right of main block, towards left of ridge, and to right of ridge of right-hand wing. INTERIOR: a central stair hall at the front of the building contains an elliptical geometrical staircase in 3 flights with turned balusters and a mahogany handrail. Also recorded by RCHM as containing a re-set door and doorcase of c1770, and, on the first floor, two fireplaces of a similar date with pilastered surrounds. Lindley Murrey, the Anglo-American lawyer and grammarian, lived in the house for over 39 years until his death in 1826. (RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: MONUMENT 52).

Listing NGR: SE5875051344


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463730

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 52

End of official listing