CHURCH OF ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257544

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HOLGATE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257544 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 11:26:40.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PAUL, HOLGATE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 59172 51249

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE5951SW HOLGATE ROAD 1112-1/19/506 (North side) Church of St Paul

GV II

Church. 1850-1. By JB and W Atkinson. Chancel extended into nave 1890; east window replaced 1906; west gallery altered late C20. MATERIALS: coursed squared limestone with ashlar dressings, with concealed brickwork. Cast-iron piers. Slate roofs. PLAN: nave with continuous chancel, and north and south aisles under pitched roofs. EXTERIOR: the nave has one bay projecting beyond the west walls of the aisles. The western wall of the nave has tall thin pinnacles to each side, above set-back buttresses. At the apex there is a gabled bellcote with trefoiled opening, and within the gable there is a wheel window. The doorway has a pointed arch flanked by narrower blind steeply-pointed arches. All are moulded with engaged shafts. The west walls of the aisles both have a single double-chamfered lancet window, and the western bay of the nave has a similar window on the north and south sides. The aisles are both of 6 bays separated by buttresses. Except for both eastern bays the windows are paired double-chamfered lancets with hood moulds. On the south side the eastern bay contains a moulded pointed doorway with angle shafts. Above there is a window which is a moulded pointed arch filled with 3 trefoils. On the north side the ground level is lower and there is a basement under the north aisle, entered through plain doorways in the 2nd and 6th bays from the west. Against the 4th and 5th bays there is an added vestry which has a window of 3 trefoiled lights facing west. The 6th bay has a blocked moulded doorway at ground-floor level, similar to the doorway on the south side. The east gable walls of the aisles are flush with the chancel east wall and have paired lancet windows similar to those in the north and south walls. Below the gables they have circular multi-foiled openings. The chancel east window has 3 lights and Geometrical tracery. INTERIOR: the 4-bay nave arcades have deeply-moulded pointed arches springing from quatrefoil cast-iron columns. The chancel arch is similarly moulded and has responds with triple shafts. The chancel has moulded pointed north and south arches, and there are similar arches between the chancel aisles and the nave aisles. A raised floor now extends the chancel into the eastern bay of the nave. The nave roof has intermediate collar trusses and is ceiled at collar level. The main trusses have king posts rising from arch-braced collars, and are supported by moulded corbels below wallplate level. The aisle roofs also have main and subsidiary trusses, with braced collars carrying queen posts. The west gallery has a

panelled timber front, with C20 glazed screen walls above and below. At the upper level there is now an office and meeting room. The windows contain late C19 and early C20 stained glass of various descriptions. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 160; RCHME: City of York: London: 1972-: MONUMENT 10).



Listing NGR: SE5917251249

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463738

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York III South West, (1972), 10
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 160

End of official listing