This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

YOUNGS HOTEL (NUMBER 25)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: YOUNGS HOTEL (NUMBER 25)

List entry Number: 1257610

Location

YOUNGS HOTEL (NUMBER 25), 25, 27 AND 29, HIGH PETERGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463685

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW HIGH PETERGATE 1112-1/27/467 (South West side) 14/06/54 Nos.25, 27 AND 29 Young's Hotel (No.25)

GV II*

Formerly known as: Nos.24, 25 AND 26 HIGH PETERGATE. Row of three houses; now hotel, bookshop and dental surgery. 1700-1707 with later C18 and early C19 doorcases and cornice; other later C19 and C20 alterations and extensions. MATERIALS: front of orange brick in Flemish bond, ground floor of No.29 painted, on painted stone plinth; painted stone dressings and timber doorcases and cornice; rear of orange-brown brick; pantile roofs have box dormers with 2-light Yorkshire sashes and brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, cellars and attics; 11-bay front. Cellar openings behind grilles in plinth. Central entrance bay to No.25 breaks slightly forward: doorcase of fluted half-elliptical columns with necking and moulded bases has moulded cornice on elongated scrolled consoles: steps lead up to 6-panel door and fanlight in round-arched architrave with panelled reveal and moulded transom. No.27 has similar doorcase with door of 8 raised and fielded panels, renewed radial overlight and corresponding panelled reveal. No.29 has doorcase enriched with composition mouldings, of sunk-panel pilasters with acanthus leaf at the head and open pediment on frieze blocks: door of 6 raised and fielded panels beneath radial fanlight recessed in plain reveal in round-arched surround with fluted impost band. All ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes except for one 16-pane sash to left of entrance to No.27: No.25 has 1-pane sash windows on first and second floors; elsewhere first floor windows are tall unequal 15-pane sashes, second floor windows 12-pane sashes with original glazing bars. All windows have painted stone sills and most retain flat arches of gauged bricks. Broad raised bands to first and second floors. Dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice. Rear: 3 storeys and attics; 4 gabled bays, No.25 having shaped gables, Nos 27 and 29 Dutch gables. No.25 extensively obscured by fire escape and 1- and 2-storey extensions: on first floor to left of extension is shallow elliptical bow window with three 12-pane sashes: on second floor round-arched staircase window between 12-pane sash to left, 4-pane sash to right, both with elliptical brick arches: attic windows are squat 4-pane sash to left, 2-light to right, both with rendered flat arches. No.27 not visible. No.29 has 4-pane sash windows on first and second floors, 2-light C20 window to attic, all with 1-course segmental brick arches. INTERIOR: of No.25: full-height open string staircase with slender turned balusters and moulded, ramped handrail,

wreathed at foot. Staircase window between 1st and second floors incorporates painted glass of 1801 by Thomas Hodgson. No.29 has panelled rooms on first and second floors. No.27 vacant at time of survey. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 185-6).



Listing NGR: SE6025952112

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 185-186

National Grid Reference: SE 60259 52112

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257610 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 11:13:31.

End of official listing