This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

COTTAGE ATTACHED AT REAR OF NUMBER 25

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTAGE ATTACHED AT REAR OF NUMBER 25

List entry Number: 1257611

Location

COTTAGE ATTACHED AT REAR OF NUMBER 25, HIGH PETERGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW HIGH PETERGATE 1112-1/27/468 (South West side) 14/06/54 Cottage attached at rear of No.25 (Formerly Listed as: HIGH PETERGATE Guy Fawkes Cottage at rear of No.25)

GV II

Formerly known as: Guy Fawkes Cottage at the rear of No.26 HIGH PETERGATE. House or workshop; ground floor now used for storage, first floor incorporated into No.25 Young's Hotel (qv). Late C18, probably with earlier origins; later alterations. Rendered and white-washed brick; stone coped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2-storey gabled front partly masked by late C19 wing linking it to No.25. To right is door of 6 sunk panels and radial fanlight with beaded iron glazing bars, in doorcase of panelled pilasters with palm leaf capitals, frieze of festooned medallions and urns, and flat cornice hood. Window to left hidden: on first floor, 16-pane sash. Front contains three round-arched niches, one containing sculpted classical bust, two containing putti, one with lyre, one with figleaf. House was formerly wrongly identified as the birthplace of Guy Fawkes. INTERIOR: not inspected.





Listing NGR: SE6023852098

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 60238 52098

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257611 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 08:40:37.

End of official listing