FORMER CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257612
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
FORMER CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL, GREAT GEORGES STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257612 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Sep-2019 at 15:01:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER CHRIST CHURCH SCHOOL, GREAT GEORGES STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32094 97731

Details

CROSBY

SJ3297NW GREAT GEORGE'S ROAD 778-1/9/46 (South East side) Former Christ Church School

GV II

School. 1842, for the National Society; enlarged and altered. Common brick in Flemish bond with red sandstone dressings, slate roof. F-plan formed by main range parallel to street with projecting wings offset left of centre and at right-hand end, and short set-back wing at left end. EXTERIOR: single storey, 2:1:1:3 windows; with rusticated quoins. The gable end of the wing to the left has a triple-window feature composed of a central cross-window and narrow flanking blind windows, with stone architraves linked by their hoodmoulds, and above this a stone tablet with raised lettering "CHRIST CHURCH / NATIONAL SCHOOL / 1842" (the figures of the date on corbel feet); the right-hand wing has stepped cross-windows (but the lower part covered by a short flat-roofed extension in matching style). The main range has 2 cross-windows to the left and one in the centre, with architraves in similar style; and a C20 doorway in the angle with the right wing. INTERIOR: not inspected. Except for the Merchant Taylors Free Grammar School (now part of Merchant Taylors Girls' School, Liverpool Road, qv), this building appears to be the oldest public school in Crosby.

Listing NGR: SJ3209497731

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463645
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 May 2003
Reference: IOE01/10630/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James A. Ray. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].