TOWN HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257616
Date first listed:
26-Mar-1973
Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GREAT GEORGES ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOWN HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257616 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 20:28:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOWN HALL, GREAT GEORGES ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 32063 97774

Details

CROSBY

SJ3297NW GREAT GEORGE'S ROAD 778-1/9/44 (North West side) 26/03/73 Town Hall

GV II

Town hall. 1862, by FS Spencer Yates (surveyor); enlarged to rear in 1893. Coursed sandstone rubble with freestone dressings, hipped slate roof. Italianate style. Square plan with wing to right and extension to rear. 2 storeys and 3 windows, symmetrical; with a plinth, triglyph frieze to ground floor, panelled frieze to 2nd floor with prominent dentilled cornice. The ground floor has a large central porch with Tuscan columns distyle-in-antis, frieze and cornice carried round, here with balustraded parapet, protecting a round-headed doorway; flanked by 4-pane sashed windows which have moulded architraves with panelled aprons and sills on consoles. The 1st floor has windows with pedimented architraves, that in the centre with stained glass and a segmental pediment on consoles and the others with altered glazing and triangular pediments on consoles. Flat-roofed single-storey wing to right. INTERIOR: not inspected. Forms group with former Christ Church School (qv) opposite.



Listing NGR: SJ3206397774

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463651
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/00067/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Pollitt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].