This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1257622



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Sefton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1996

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463663

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SD3201 LITTLE CROSBY ROAD, Little Crosby 778-1/5/168 (West side) 26/03/73 Nos.1 AND 3 Smithy (No.1) (Formerly Listed as: LITTLE CROSBY ROAD, Little Crosby Nos.1 AND 3-7 (Odd) Smithy (No.1))


Small house and attached smithy. Probably C18 (date 1713 inscribed on smithy wall at junction), the house probably raised in C19; altered. The house (No.3) is of coursed sandstone rubble with quoins and 4 courses of large squared masonry at the top (above eaves level of smithy), with a graduated slate roof and brick chimney; the smithy (No.1) is of random rubble with a graduated stone slate roof. Linear plan, the house double-depth and double-fronted, and the smithy continued to the left single-depth, 2 bays. The house, 2 low storeys and 2 windows, has a simple square-headed doorway offset slightly right of centre, flanked by 3-light casements at ground floor and 2-light casements above (all these with renewed joinery). Chimney behind ridge to left. The smithy, one storey, has a wagon doorway to the left with wooden lintel, a square window to the right with wooden shutters, and to the right of this a quoin stone inscribed "1713". Beside the left corner of this range is a cubic cheese-press stone (erroneously identified in former list as anvil). INTERIOR: not inspected. Collectively all the buildings in Little Crosby Conservation Area form a valuable group of similar scale but varied dates, materials and style.

Listing NGR: SD3200101288

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD3200101288


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257622 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 01:18:30.

End of official listing