9 AND 10, HIGH OUSEGATE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257623
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
9 AND 10, HIGH OUSEGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 9 AND 10, HIGH OUSEGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257623.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 11:04:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
9 AND 10, HIGH OUSEGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60361 51728

Details

YORK

SE6051NW HIGH OUSEGATE 1112-1/28/442 (North side) Nos.9 AND 10

GV II

Shop. Dated 1933. For Burton, Tailors. Buff-pink brick in English garden-wall bond and artificial Portland stone; shopfront faced with marbled veneer; roof obscured by parapet with moulded coping. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 5-bay front. Shopfront incorporates passage entrances at each end beneath broad fascia in moulded surround. Plate glass windows flank renewed central doors and original panelled doors to left, beneath continuous transom light containing inset hexagonal timber panels. Upper floors articulated by giant order Ionic pilasters with entablature. Three centre bays have 12-pane sash windows on first and second floors, those on first floor in moulded surrounds. Outer bays have narrow 4-pane sashes, those on second floor with moulded sills. Outer windows on first floor and all second floor windows have flat arches of rubbed brick. Second floor windows have wrought-iron balustrades of slender railings and Greek key bands. Passage entries and doorways have plaster ceilings moulded in flutes and roundels. Set in shopfront are three foundation stones dated 1933 and bearing the names of members of the Burton family. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SE6035551734

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463622
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04196/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].