This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HEWORTH CROFT AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE (COLLEGE OF RIPON AND YORK ST JOHN)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HEWORTH CROFT AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE (COLLEGE OF RIPON AND YORK ST JOHN)

List entry Number: 1257650

Location

HEWORTH CROFT AND ATTACHED COACH HOUSE (COLLEGE OF RIPON AND YORK ST JOHN), 19, HEWORTH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463581

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6152NW HEWORTH GREEN, Heworth 1112-1/10/1221 (North side) 24/06/83 No.19 Heworth Croft and attached coach house (College of Ripon and York St John)

II

House, now part of college. c1842, altered and extended C20. White brick with some stone dressings. Slate roof. STYLE: Italianate. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, of 2 storeys and 3 bays, with corner pilasters of brick with stone caps and bases, a central bay which projects slightly, a moulded stone storey band, and projecting timber modillioned eaves. The windows are glazing bar sashes with rubbed brick flat arches. The 1st floor windows have stone panels below their sills. The single-storey porch has corner pilasters, and corner brackets below a painted stone or stucco cornice. The outer doorway has a round arch with moulded imposts, and the inner doorway has a round head with fanlight and a door with 3 round-headed glazed panels. 2 chimneys near centre of ridge. The eaves project at the gables to form modillioned timber pediments. At the right (east) there are mid C20 additions. Towards the rear at the left the main block is connected to a north-west wing by a low tower with a pyramidal roof. Adjoining to the west is a 2-storey former coach-house. On the ground floor it has a C20 garage door, on the 1st floor a wide casement window, and within the modillioned gable pediment a bull's-eye window. INTERIOR: not inspected. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1975-: 77-8).



Listing NGR: SE6102052610

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 77-78

National Grid Reference: SE 61020 52610

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257650 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 12:44:12.

End of official listing