Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257673

Date first listed: 01-Jul-1968



Ordnance survey map of HAXBY ROAD SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257673 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jan-2019 at 13:04:02.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60684 53310


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE65SW HAXBY ROAD 1112-1/2/435 (East side) 01/07/68 Haxby Road School


Primary school. 1903-4. By WH Brierley. MATERIALS: orange-brown brick in English bond on chamfered brick plinth; dressings of orange brick and ashlar and ashlar quoins: roof of Westmorland slate with widely projecting eaves on timber brackets and louvred leaded cupola with lead finial. Brick stacks with stone cornices. Integral rainwater goods and guttering on scrolled brackets of cast-iron; ornate hoppers dated 1903. EXTERIOR: north (street) front: 2-storey 7-bay centre range between 3-storey 4-bay ranges set back and linking to 2-storey 3-bay crosswings with open pedimented gables. Centre range and crosswings are quoined: centre range is articulated by full-height pilasters beneath egg-and-dart frieze and moulded stone mutule cornice. On ground floor each bay has paired tall segment-arched 15-pane sash windows with continuous sills: on first floor, 3-light mullioned and double transomed square latticed windows with moulded sills are recessed beneath segmental arches. Linking ranges are articulated by 2-storey arcades of shallow segmental brick arches with stone imposts. The inner bay to each has moulded doorcase with double doors and blind tympanum, approached by flight of steps. Outer bays have squat 6-pane windows on ground floor, some now altered to part glazed doors. First floor windows are 9-pane top hung lights with plain stone sills and flat brick arches. On second floor there are two 6-pane top hung windows to each bay, each recessed in segmental arch on squat pilasters, over moulded stone sill band. Above is moulded and dentilled brick eaves cornice beneath stone coping. Crosswings have windows on first floor only: these are 12-pane sashes with stone sills and brick arches, centre window having top hung transom light. Playground front: 2 storeys; 3:1:15:1:3 windows arranged in triplets, the centre ones on first floor rising as through eaves dormers into 2-centred gabled heads. End triplets set beneath open pedimented gables. 1-window bays are full-height round arches with prominent keyblocks: on ground floor are deeply recessed double doors approached by flights of steps, on first floor a round headed small pane window. Ground floor windows are tall 15-pane lights with top-hung transom lights; on first floor, centre windows of triplets as on first floor, flanked by 12-pane lights. East and west returns: 2 storeys, 7 bays. Deeply splayed round arch in centre has moulded stone doorcase containing double doors and segment-headed small pane overlight. To one side,

12-pane sash window, to the other, three tall 15-pane windows, all having stone sills and segmental brick arches. On first floor, 12-pane sashes rising into through eaves dormers flank paired 6-pane casements, all with moulded stone sills. In east return, windows on ground floor partly blocked with blind panels. At south end is attached boiler stack in the form of a campanile, square on plan, with segment-arched sunk panelled faces with brick corbelled stone cornice and triple keyblocks; summit surmounted by louvred lantern and tapering pot. External doors have incised panels with 4-pane lights above. INTERIOR: not fully inspected but layout and original fittings appear largely intact.

Listing NGR: SE6102651980


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463570

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing