This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1257680

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, BRIDGE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Sefton

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 26-Mar-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CROSBY

SJ39NW BRIDGE ROAD 778-1/3/22 (East side) 26/03/73 Church of St Nicholas

II

Church. 1873-4, by TD Barry & Sons, with 1894 addition to west end by WD Caroe. Thin yellow sandstone rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs and copper-clad fleche. STYLE: Decorated. PLAN: 6-bay nave and 2-bay apsidal chancel as one vessel with fleche at the junction, north and south aisles with gabled porches, apsidal west chapel. EXTERIOR: the nave has 6 circular clerestory windows with differing tracery, and in the west gable 2 tall narrow 2-centred arched 3-light windows with elaborate Decorated tracery and a rose window above. The chapel below these windows has a 3-sided west end with a cusped window in each of these sides, a steeply-pitched roof with apex cross, and a square bay in each angle with a segmental-pointed window and a hipped roof. The chancel has tall traceried 2-centred arched windows with gables above. Elegant fleche with crockets and finial. INTERIOR: 6-bay arcades of cylindrical polished granite columns with crocket caps, and 2-centred arches both moulded and chamfered; clustered wall-shafts on foliated corbels (all different), and moulded 2-centred arches to wooden wagon roof; chancel arch formed by slender clustered wall-shafts rising to traceried wooden arch; chancel with 2-bay arcades to north organ house and south chapel, and very elaborate carved wooden triptych reredos. West end of nave has elaborate triple arcade to chapel of St Barnabas. North aisle has stained glass by Kempe.



Listing NGR: SJ3109099136

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 31090 99136

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 03:35:49.

End of official listing