This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

DISUSED RAILWAY TUNNEL UNDER DAWLEY TO WELLINGTON ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: DISUSED RAILWAY TUNNEL UNDER DAWLEY TO WELLINGTON ROAD

List entry Number: 1257692

Location

DISUSED RAILWAY TUNNEL UNDER DAWLEY TO WELLINGTON ROAD, A4169
DISUSED RAILWAY TUNNEL UNDER DAWLEY TO WELLINGTON ROAD, DAWLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Dawley Hamlets

County:

District: Telford and Wrekin

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Lawley and Overdale

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463547

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 60 NE; 1126/31/10022

A4169 (DAWLEY ROAD), Dawley

Disused Railway Tunnel under Dawley- Wellington Road

II

Disused railway tunnel. Circa 1856 for the Wellington and Severn Junction Railway. Blue engineering bricks with stone dressings. Brick parabolic arch tunnel, with portal at either end with rusticated stone voussoirs and keyblock to the arch, stone bull-nose cornice and parapet and splayed and ramped abutment wings with stone coping and small terminal piers. The tunnel is cut through the embankment of the road above. The Wellington and Severn Junction Railway was authorised in 1853. A short single track line from the main line to Horsehay was opened in 1857 and extended as far as Lightmoor in 1859. Although the Company was leased by GWR, initially most of the goods traffic was run by the Coalbrookdale Company.

This entry was subject to a Minor Spatial Amendment on 28 September 2016.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ6764608044

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 05:02:47.

End of official listing