PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257727
Date first listed:
20-Dec-1996
Statutory Address:
PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CONVENT, BACK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 23:22:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ATTACHED CONVENT, BACK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sefton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 31995 01712

Details

CROSBY

SD3101 BACK LANE, Little Crosby 778-1/4/166 (South side) Presbytery to Roman Catholic Church of St Mary, and attached convent

GV II

Presbytery, with attached chapel (subsequently remodelled as convent). Probably all early C18, enlarged and/or remodelled in mid C19 (and altered in C20): the presbytery, dated 1850 on the porch, has a datestone of 1719 on its rear wing, and the convent, dated 1859 on the former porch, has remains of C18 windows at the rear. All brick, the presbytery stuccoed and the convent of red brick with sandstone dressings; graduated slate roof to presbytery, stone slate roof to convent. PLAN: irregular plan, the presbytery with a double-fronted front range attached to the north end of a single-depth rear wing; and the convent attached to its north-east corner. PRESBYTERY: the front range, in Tudor style, 2 storeys and 2 windows, has a gabled single-storey porch with a shouldered outer opening, and a painted shield in the gable with the date 1850 above it; a 2-storey canted bay to the right with mullion-and-transom windows, a lean-to to the left and small windows on each floor of this side; gable copings with kneelers, a gable chimney to the left and an extruded chimney stack at the right-hand gable. Its rear wing has a raised band between floors, a modern 2-storey bay close to the front range and at 1st floor to the right of this a shouldered stone plaque inscribed "1719", with the Blundell shield. CONVENT: Tudor style, 2 storeys and 2:3 windows, with a gabled 2-storey former porch in the centre. This has a stone 1st-floor band carried round, patched brickwork at ground floor of the front (showing position of former doorway), a sunk panel with a carved shield at 1st floor dated 1859, gable coping with kneelers, and a segmental-pointed window in its left side wall. The main range to the left has a segmental-pointed doorway, a C19 2-light stone mullioned window to the right, 2 similar windows at 1st floor, and a square window offset left at mid level to the left. The main range to the right (probably formerly a schoolroom) has 2 tall formerly 2-light mullioned windows with altered glazing, and a small window at 1st floor to the left also with altered glazing. Gable copings with kneelers, gable chimney to left, large lateral ridge chimney in line with porch. The rear wall has the remains of 3 large round-headed windows with brick

voussoirs and stone keystones (like C18 chapel windows), various inserted windows and a single-storey service wing with a chimney. INTERIORS: not inspected. Forms group with Roman Catholic Church of St Mary (qv).

Listing NGR: SD3199501712

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463495
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16844/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ronald May. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].