THE SALVATION ARMY CITADEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257749
Date first listed:
03-May-1990
Statutory Address:
THE SALVATION ARMY CITADEL, GILLYGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SALVATION ARMY CITADEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257749.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 12:15:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE SALVATION ARMY CITADEL, GILLYGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60221 52481

Details

YORK

SE6052SW GILLYGATE 1112-1/13/379 (North West side) 03/05/90 The Salvation Army Citadel

GV II

Salvation army citadel. 1882-3. Designed by EJ Sherwood of London and built by J Flint and John Lumley. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs with ashlar coped gables and ball finials. EXTERIOR: street front 2 storeys, 9 bays. Slightly projecting centre with segment-arched central opening with iron gates; above there is a plaque inscribed "SALVATION ARMY", then a pair of round headed casement windows with a segment-headed arch. Above, a small central gable inscribed "ERECTED 1882". Either side are 2 staggered staircase windows with chamfered ashlar lintels. Above, 2 similar windows, the whole topped by battlements. Either side are recessed 2-bay wings with single doorways with overlights, and single casements; above, 2 pairs of casements with chamfered ashlar lintels, and above again circular panels with painted coats-of-arms. INTERIOR: retains a gallery around the north, east and south sides supported on segment-headed arches with square chamfered columns and iron bracketed capitals. Upper arcades also have segmental brick arches with chamfered square columns. Raised platform and reading desks have been brought forward, and lower galleries screened off.

Listing NGR: SE6022152481

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463474
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 2003
Reference: IOE01/10973/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Briggs. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].