This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

IMPHAL BARRACKS THE KEEP

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: IMPHAL BARRACKS THE KEEP

List entry Number: 1257808

Location

IMPHAL BARRACKS THE KEEP, FULFORD ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463441

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 65 SW YORK FULFORD ROAD (East side) 1112-1/2/355 Imphal Barracks: The Keep 24.6.83 II

Armoury, guardhouse and store, 1877-80, designed at the War Office by Major H C Seddon, RE; later alterations. Red brick with terracotta bands and stone dressings, lateral stacks and asphalt roof Fortress Tudor Gothic Revival style. PLAN: Rectangular plan with ground-floor guard room, and detention cells, corner stairs, and stores on upper floors. EXTERIOR: 3 storey; 7 -bay range with 4-stage towers. A regular block with square corner stair towers, and brick corbel cornice and crenellated parapet. Black brick bands to cills and heads, windows are 6/6-pane sashes with cambered heads and stone cills. Entrances to left return and rear with cambered-head doorways. Towers with staggered slit windows to stairs. Rear tower facing parade has a clock. INTERIOR: fireproof interior with cast-iron columns and flat ceilings, possibly replacing the earlier jack arch floors, stone closed-well stairs with stone treads. HISTORY: The Keep was a secure armoury, stores, guard house and lock up, and the characteristic building of the Localisation depots. They were part of the Cardwell reforms, which redistributed barracks around the country to encourage local connections, and assist recruitment. As such, the Keep raised the local profile of the barracks, and provided an emblematic focus for the regiment. One of only ten remaining examples of this important symbolic structure.



Listing NGR: SE6090050150

Selected Sources

Books and journals
York City Council, , On Parade The Military Buildings of York, (1993)

National Grid Reference: SE 60900 50150

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 01:51:29.

End of official listing