1-9, THE QUADRANT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257833
Date first listed:
21-Jan-1974
Statutory Address:
1-9, THE QUADRANT

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-9, THE QUADRANT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257833 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2019 at 09:23:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-9, THE QUADRANT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 05837 73657

Details

BUXTON

SK0573NE THE QUADRANT 616-1/3/84 (East side) 21/01/74 Nos.1-9 (Consecutive)

GV II

Row of shops with offices above. c1860, extended 1905, with late C20 alterations. Dressed gritstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roofs with grouped stone stacks. Eaves band and moulded eaves cornice. EXTERIOR: 3-storeys, Stepped street front has 9 windows with curved single window ends and 2 window returns, that to left now 6 windows. Facade divided by tall pilaster strips with vermiculated rustication and curved brackets to ground floor and eaves. 9 varied shop fronts, mostly renewed C20. Tall 3-light mullion windows to first floor with tooled ashlar surrounds, and 3 round headed lights above also with tooled surrounds keystones and projecting sills on stone brackets. Most windows have original casements. Curved entrance at bottom right has doorway with Tuscan Doric columned surround with entablature, above single window and above again single round headed window. Right return has 2 similar windows on the upper floors and a glazed single storey addition of 1905 below with ornate iron parapet. Curved bay at top left has 3-light mullion window to ground floor and single windows above, left return has 6 single windows in similar tooled surrounds. INTERIOR: not inspected.

Listing NGR: SK0583773657

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463382
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2003
Reference: IOE01/07964/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morten. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].