THE OLD CONVENT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257840

Date first listed: 14-Jun-1954

Statutory Address: THE OLD CONVENT, 29, FISHERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CONVENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257840 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 06:35:07.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD CONVENT, 29, FISHERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60748 51142

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051SE FISHERGATE 1112-1/22/326 (East side) 14/06/54 No.29 The Old Convent

GV II

Formerly known as: Convent of the Sisters of Charity of St Vincent-de-Paul FISHERGATE. House, later convent, now flats. Late C18 with later alterations and additions of 1902. Brick in Flemish bond with dressings of painted stone and render. Blue tile DPC visible in front wall. Hipped roofs, partly slated and partly pantiled. EXTERIOR: symmetrical, 2 storeys and 5 bays, the 3 central bays breaking forwards slightly under a pediment. The facade has a storey band, dentilled pediment, and dentilled cornice gutter. The windows are glazing bar sashes with painted rendered surrounds. Within the pediment there is an oval blind window. The doorcase has attached fluted columns, a plain frieze, and a cornice enriched with shallow incised triglyphs and quatrefoils. The door has 2 glazed panels above 4 recessed panels, and has a fanlight. The low walls to each side of the external steps are terminated with ball finials. At the left there is a single-storey one-bay wing which has a glazing bar sash window, and a parapet coping with central urn. Set back behind is a 2-storey addition. Set back to the right there is a 2-storey addition of 1902, of 6 irregular bays, with a hipped roof and with a lean-to conservatory in the angle with the main building. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records open string staircase with cast-iron balusters and shallow veneered handrail. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 69).



Listing NGR: SE6074851142

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463389

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 69

End of official listing