Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257845

Date first listed: 17-Jan-1980



Ordnance survey map of FISHERGATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2019 at 04:38:54.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60688 50969


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6050NE FISHERGATE 1112-1/25/329 (West side) 17/01/80 Fishergate House


House, now offices. 1837 with some C20 alterations. Designed by JB and W Atkinson. For Thomas Laycock Esq. Grey brick with stone dressings. Hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. The entrance facade, facing east, is divided into 3 bays by paired brick giant pilasters with stone bases and caps. The left-hand bay is of 2 storeys, with 2 glazing bar sash windows on each floor. The narrower central bay has a C20 casement window with glazing bars at 1st floor level above the porch. The right-hand bay has 2 glazing bar sash windows on the ground floor, with a small sashed window to their left. The upper windows have been altered to correspond with the internal 3-storey arrangement at this end of the house. At both first and second floor level there are 6-pane sash windows. The ashlar porch has 2 Ionic columns in antis, and an entablature with cornice and blocking course. The side walls have round-headed windows within brick panels. The eaves of the main roof project, and the roof has a central balustraded flat surrounding a lantern light, with brick chimneys at each corner. Further chimneys on side walls. INTERIOR: not inspected. RCHM records good quality original plasterwork and fittings including cantilevered stone staircase with cast-iron balustrading and curved landing with 2 composite columns to windows. Entrance hall has arched recess and moulded ceiling; vestibule has pilasters, niches and domed oval openings. First floor has arcaded gallery around oval light well, with pilasters and round arches. (An Inventory of the Historical Monuments of the City of York: RCHME: Outside the City Walls East of the Ouse: HMSO: 1972-: 69-70).

Listing NGR: SE6068850969


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463394

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York IV East, (1975), 69-70

End of official listing