Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257860.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Dec-2020 at 12:49:26.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60764 51242



SE6051SE FAWCETT STREET 1112-1/22/315 (West side) No.1


House, now public house. Probably late C18, converted c1830; C20 alteration and extension. MATERIALS: lined and whitewashed rendered brick on painted brick plinth; timber doorcases and window surrounds, and timber dentilled and modillioned eaves cornice to both fronts; pantile roof with rendered brick stacks, one truncated. EXTERIOR: Fawcett Street: 2-storey 4-bay front. Door and window surrounds are of partly fluted pilasters with dentilled moulded cornice hoods, the one to right of front door on grooved scroll brackets. Central door approached by steps is of 6 moulded panels: door at left end is of two 2-panelled leaves. Ground floor windows are of 4-pane fixed lights with opening top lights, of 2 lights to left of front door, 3 lights to right. Moulded sill band returns over right front. Three 16-pane sashes with painted sills on first floor. Paragon Street: 2-storey 3-bay front. Blocked glazed and panelled door to left of two 2-light windows, all detailed as on Fawcett Street front. Two 16-pane sash windows on first floor. INTERIOR: not inspected. The pub has been known as The Paragon and The Market Tavern; in 1838 it was the Cattle Market Inn.

Listing NGR: SE6076451242


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/03731/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Broadribb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].