NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 OLD HALL COTTAGES (FOXES YARD)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257863
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1951
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 OLD HALL COTTAGES (FOXES YARD), THE FRONT

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 OLD HALL COTTAGES (FOXES YARD)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257863.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 11:39:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 OLD HALL COTTAGES (FOXES YARD), THE FRONT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 06871 74069

Details

BUXTON

SK07SE THE FRONT, Fairfield 616-1/2/100 (South side) 25/01/51 Nos.1, 2 AND 3 Old Hall Cottages (Foxes Yard) (Formerly Listed as: THE FRONT, Fairfield Old Hall Cottages (3) (Fox's Yard))

II

House divided into 3 cottages, now 2 cottages. 1687, with C19 and C20 alterations. Whitewashed coursed rubble, with ashlar gritstone dressings and C20 tiled roof with various stone stacks. PLAN: hall, cross wing and rear wing, with single storey lean-to added between wings. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Quoins. South front 6 irregular windows arranged 1:5, with projecting gable to left. Gable has 2-light window on each floor and doorway to right with C20 door, all with Tudor hoodmoulds. To right 3-light chamfered mullion window, doorway with chamfered ashlar surround and deep lintel, 4-light chamfered mullion window with central mullion removed, projecting gabled brick porch and single light fire window beyond. Above 4-light chamfered mullion window with central mullion removed and to right a similar single light window. To left a similar tiny 2-light window and 2 windows beyond. West front has central doorway with ashlar surround and to right single light window in similar surround, above 2-light window and to right single light window. North front has C20 central single storey range flanked by 2-storey gabled cross wings. Central range has central door and flanking 2-light windows. Right cross wing has 4-light chamfered mullion window with Tudor hoodmould and above similar window with outer lights blocked and whitewashed over and central mullion removed. Left cross wing has a restored 2-light mullion window and to right ashlar doorway with quoined jambs and C20 door and above C20 2-light window and to right 2-light window with ashlar surround. Almost all windows have C20 diamond leaded metal frame casements. INTERIOR: of No.1 has fine segmental, chamfered arched stone fireplace, approximately 2m high, with domed bread oven to left. Some of original roof timbers of main range re-used within C20 lean-to. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 214).



Listing NGR: SK0687174069

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463375
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 214

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14445/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morten. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].