THEATRE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257877
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Statutory Address:
THEATRE HOUSE, DUNCOMBE PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THEATRE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257877 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2019 at 20:43:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
THEATRE HOUSE, DUNCOMBE PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60133 52114

Details

YORK

SE6052SW DUNCOMBE PLACE 1112-1/27/308 (North West side) 14/06/54 Theatre House

GV II

House, incorporating St Leonard's Hospital (Museum Street, qv) remains in cellar; now theatre offices. Late C18 rebuild of earlier house with C13 masonry in the basement. MATERIALS: house fronted in pink-grey brick in Flemish bond with red brick dressings; right return of coursed magnesian limestone on ground and first floors, second floor of varied brick in random and stretcher bonds; left side of orange-brown brick in random bond; timber cornice to hipped tiled roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 3-bay front. Ground floor altered to provide rear passage entrance with flat lintel supported at left side on cast-iron column: house entrance is C20 door in right wall of passage: further right is 16-pane fixed window. On first and second floors, windows are 12-pane sashes with stone sills, some painted, some renewed: all have brick quoined openings and flat arches of gauged brick. Moulded modillioned eaves cornice returned at each end. INTERIOR: in cellar at rear are remains of one barrel vaulted bay in a chamfered round arch with vestiges of one capital: vault closed by later wall containing blocked window. Ground floor: reset late C18 staircase survives to first floor with close string, slender turned balusters and moulded ramped-up handrail. First floor: early C18 staircase to second floor has close string, bulbous balusters, square newels with attached half balusters and moulded flat handrail. Front room has pair of early C18 cupboard doors of raised and fielded panelling in keyed round-arched architrave. In back room is plain fireplace with hob-grate. Various panelled doors and fragments of panelling survive on first floor. The house was built to provide accommodation for the Manager and Lessee of The Theatre Royal, St Leonard's Place (qv) and may have been occupied by Tate Wilkinson before 1803. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 95; 103).

Listing NGR: SE6013352114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463355
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 103

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/05017/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Arthur B. Bellwood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].