This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1257878

Location

CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, EAST PARADE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463357

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6152NE EAST PARADE, Heworth 1112-1/11/1220 (South side) 24/06/83 Church of Holy Trinity

II

Church. 1868-9. By George Fowler Jones. MATERIALS: coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings and high chamfered plinth. Slate and stone slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Original guttering cast with nailhead mouldings survives. All roofs have gable crosses or crocket finials. PLAN: chancel with south vestry; 6-bay nave with 2-bay rudimentary transepts and north porch; north-east steeple. EXTERIOR: chancel east end has three trefoiled lights in pointed openings with traceried heads and with continuous hoodmould and moulded sillstring, both returned on north and south sides. Above is glazed cinquefoil sunk deeply in carved roundel beneath 2-centred hoodmould on corbel heads. Chancel windows on north side are single trefoil-headed lights in pointed openings. On south side, they are obscured by vestry with pent porch. Porch doorway is chamfer stopped with 2-centred head and board door with ornate ironwork: hoodmould has head stops. 3-stage tower with octagonal spire has extruded 2-stage staircase turret to north east, both having high plinths and moulded bands to each stage. Tower north face has chamfer stopped doorway with 2-centred arch of 4 moulded orders, moulded impost band and lobed roundel in tympanum: hoodmould is head stopped. Double door is of shaped panels with square head. Second stage has slit lights to three faces and, to north, clock face in moulded surround. Each belfry face has a louvred trefoil headed light in 2-centred opening with pierced head and hoodmould with gargoyle stops. Tower spire rises from pierced and gabled parapet band with crocketed pinnacles. Staircase turret has slit lights and octagonal spirelet. Nave north and south sides have twin cross-gabled shallow projecting transepts, each having a window of 3 trefoiled lights with cinquefoil tracery in the 2-centred head. Hoodmoulds have foliar stops and the valleys between gables gargoyle water spouts. Three nave windows are each of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil tracery in trefoiled heads: hood stops are carved as animals and birds in foliage. On south side westernmost window is a single trefoiled light with tracery in the stilted trefoil headed opening. North porch is gabled and has high plinth and moulded band. Doorway is chamfer stopped, with 2-centred arch of 4 moulded orders and crocketed impost band. Outer order inscribed: LET US GO INTO THE HOUSE OF THE LORD. Double doors are glazed and panelled with square head. Arch tympanum filled with circular panel and spandrels carved in relief with foliage. Hoodmould

has head stops and relieving arch above is studded with red and green coloured stones: likewise gable apex. West end: four trefoil headed lights in pointed openings with impost band enriched with nailhead mouldings. West window is a rose, of five trefoiled lights, beneath semicircular hoodmould returned and stopped with couchant gargoyles. INTERIOR: not inspected.



Listing NGR: SE6178252625

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 61782 52625

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Sep-2018 at 10:24:54.

End of official listing