PUREY CUST CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257882

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: PUREY CUST CHAMBERS, DEANS PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUREY CUST CHAMBERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257882 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Dec-2018 at 07:59:20.

Location

Statutory Address: PUREY CUST CHAMBERS, DEANS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60224 52273

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW DEAN'S PARK 1112-1/13/879 Purey Cust Chambers 24/06/83

GV II

New Residence of the Canons Residentiary of York Minster; now part of Purey Cust Hospital. 1824-25. By RH Sharp for the Dean and Chapter. Magnesian limestone ashlar with stone coped slate roof and ashlar stacks. Gothick style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attics on moulded stone plinth and with 2-stage setback buttresses; 3 gabled bays. Flight of stone steps leads to glazed and flush panel door with 4-centred head in casement-moulded square-headed surround with carved spandrels, flanked by dwarf buttresses. Flanking windows are of 3 ogee-arched lights with mouchette tracery in the square head. All ground floor openings have tall return stopped hoodmoulds. On first floor, centre window is semicircular oriel with three 8-pane sashes, deep frieze and moulded cornice: outer windows correspond with those on ground floor: all have moulded sill string. Attic windows are square-headed with hoodmoulds, centre one of 3 altered lights, outer ones each 1 light with 4-centred head; moulded string. Right return: 2 storeys and attic; 5 bays, centre bay gabled: at left of ground floor, 1-storey flat roofed porch projects forward. Porch has former door altered to tall window of 2 mullioned and transomed pointed lights, and moulded parapet. To right of porch is half-glazed door with tall overlight. Windows are generally paired lancets, those on ground floor with transoms, with square heads and hoodmoulds, those on first floor with moulded sillstring. Over porch on first floor is 2-leaf glazed and panelled door. C20 2-light window in attic gable. Moulded string to attic. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129).



Listing NGR: SE6022452273

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463320

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 129

End of official listing