This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PUREY CUST LODGE, ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAYS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUREY CUST LODGE, ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAYS

List entry Number: 1257883

Location

PUREY CUST LODGE, ATTACHED WALLS AND GATEWAYS, DEANS PARK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463321

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6052SW DEAN'S PARK 1112-1/27/880 Purey Cust Lodge, attached walls and 24/06/83 gateways (Formerly Listed as: DEAN'S PARK The Lodge)

GV II

Lodge, walls and gateways to the Minster Stoneyard; now entrance and boundary walls to garden of the Purey Cust Chambers (qv). 1845, adopted as garden walls c1916. MATERIALS: lodge of orange-brown and orange-grey brick in various bonds and magnesian limestone ashlar: pent pantile roof has brick stacks. Walls largely of coursed squared magnesian limestone, part to Precentor's Court rendered and incised, part on inside of orange brick in English garden-wall bond: copings are moulded stone or pantile. EXTERIOR: wall is approximately 6 metres high, stepped up to approximately 8.5 metres at rear of Lodge, stepped down to approximately 4.5 metres along Precentor's Court. Wall incorporates three gateways in double chamfered 4-centred arches with coved hoodmoulds, two closed by nail studded boarded gates; third giving access to the hospital is open and flanked by shields of arms of St Peter and the Deanery of York. Lodge entrance is nail studded boarded door in shouldered arch to right of hospital gateway. Further right, windows at two levels are of single or paired square-headed lights with diamond lattice glazing, all in chamfered openings. Garden side: Lodge is of 2 low storeys. Ground floor windows are various, including 1- and 2-light small- and large-pane casements, one 2x6-pane Yorkshire sash and one 2x2-pane Yorkshire sash; on first floor are three 2x2-pane Yorkshire sashes. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129).

Listing NGR: SE6022752212

Selected Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 129

National Grid Reference: SE 60227 52212

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257883 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 03:38:05.

End of official listing