BUXTON THERMAL BATHS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257910

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: BUXTON THERMAL BATHS, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BUXTON THERMAL BATHS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257910 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 18:14:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BUXTON THERMAL BATHS, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05845 73586

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573NE THE CRESCENT 616-1/3/80 (East side) 25/01/51 Buxton Thermal Baths

GV II

Thermal baths, now shops. 1852-53, rebuilt 1900, interior reconstruction 1912, colonnade removed c1960, converted c1985. By Henry Currey. Ashlar gritstone with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof plus glass barrel vault. PLAN: Rectangular around courtyard, now infilled. EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 10 windows arranged 4:2:4. Tall rusticated pilasters to central bays with shorter similar pilasters with panels above to wings, topped by continuous entablature and balustrade, containing 2 central panels inscribed BUXTON BATHS, with urn finials. 2 central bays have rusticated round arch doorways with double glazed doors and ornate fanlights. Either side 4 moulded round arches with keystones and moulded imposts, with a single window, a door and 2 windows, all round headed. To extreme left, narrow single storey gateway with cornice. Left return tiled elevation of 2 bays visible. Right return a row of adjoining shops. Rear has various separately roofed ranges. INTERIOR: has an ornate iron column, belonging to the original design, and the basic layout of the baths can still be seen, a sunken bath is also displayed. The corridors have glazed and coloured tiles (1900) and ornate tiled doorways, some round headed with keystones, others square headed with cornice and keystones, also shallow arched openings have been restored. The decoration includes floriated swags, fruit and foliage. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116).

Listing NGR: SK0584573586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463305

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 116

End of official listing