Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257918

Date first listed: 24-Jun-1983

Statutory Address: 20, DAVYGATE


Ordnance survey map of 20, DAVYGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257918 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 19:47:06.


Statutory Address: 20, DAVYGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60267 51886


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SE6051NW DAVYGATE 1112-1/28/286 (South West side) 24/06/83 No.20


House and shop. Mid C19 rebuild of mid C18 house, with C20 shopfront. Front of pink-grey brick in Flemish bond, with timber cornice; right wall of orange-brown brick; slate roof with brick stacks. EXTERIOR: 3-storey, 2-window front. Shopfront framed in grooved pilasters with moulded imposts, beaded panel fascia and moulded cornice, with recessed glazed door at left; shop door set within arcade of plate glass showcase windows, with band of divided transom lights across street front. Upper floor windows are 12-pane sashes, those on first floor with cambered arches of orange brick, on second floor over painted stone sill band. Moulded modillion eaves cornice. Right return: forms boundary wall to former burial ground to St Helen's Church, St Helen's Square (qv). 3 storeys and attic; 3-bay gable wall. Right bay blank; left bay projects as external stack and has 3-course first floor band. Centre bay has 12-pane sash windows on first floor, unequal 9-pane sashes on second floor, and 16-pane sash to attic, all with renewed stone sills and flat arches. Grave monuments propped against wall include re-carved headstone to William and Anna Peckitt (d.1776 and 1787 respectively), parents of William Peckitt, glass painter. INTERIOR: not inspected. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 129).

Listing NGR: SE6026751886


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463313

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 129

End of official listing