ARCADE OF FORMER ARCHBISHOPS PALACE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1257919
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
14-Mar-1997
Statutory Address:
ARCADE OF FORMER ARCHBISHOPS PALACE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, DEANS PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of ARCADE OF FORMER ARCHBISHOPS PALACE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257919 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 20:42:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
ARCADE OF FORMER ARCHBISHOPS PALACE AND ATTACHED RAILINGS AND GATES, DEANS PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
York (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 60260 52289

Details

YORK

SE6052SW DEAN'S PARK 1112-1/13/287 Arcade of former Archbishops' Palace 14/06/54 and attached railings and gates (Formerly Listed as: DEAN'S PARK Archbishop Roger's Arcade)

GV I

Arcade of the Palace of Archbishop Roger de Pont l'Eveque; now War Memorial to the Second Division. Attached walls, railings, gates and gate piers extending approx 35m to the south-west, 20m to the north-east and forming the boundary on the north-west side of Dean's Park. Arcade late C12; restored in 1987; walls, railings, gates and gate piers 1839, repositioned 1863. Arcade of magnesian limestone; railings, gates and gate piers of cast-iron, limestone walls. Arcade of 7 round arches of 3 orders, inner two of coupled shafts with moulded bases and carved capitals, now defaced. Each arch contained two trefoil-headed lights with centre shaft, now lost. Two shafts with elaborately carved capitals have been replaced. Each arch now closed by low plinth carrying a commemorative plate and surmounted by iron railings. Centre arch filled with laurel wreath cast in bronze. Boundary walls vary from approx 0.25 to 0.75m high and carry square section railings with tapering tips and turned standards with urn finials. Gates adjacent to the Minster Library (qv) and the Purey-Cust Chambers (qv) are of similar railings strengthened by arch or diagonal braces; piers are tapered cylinders on high pedestals with urn finials. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: York and the East Riding: Harmondsworth: 1972-: 109).

Listing NGR: SE6026052289

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 1 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463314
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire - York and the East Riding, (1972), 109
Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 1 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/215344
War Memorials Register, accessed 1 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/30623

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05478/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Roberts. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].