PUMP ROOM

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257920

Date first listed: 25-Jan-1951

Statutory Address: PUMP ROOM, THE CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMP ROOM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 22:02:31.

Location

Statutory Address: PUMP ROOM, THE CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05815 73522

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573NE THE CRESCENT 616-1/3/81 (South side) 25/01/51 Pump Room

GV II

Marked on the OS map as St Ann's Well. Pump room, later micrarium now pump room. 1894, domes removed 1912, converted late C20. By H Currey. Ashlar with ashlar dressings. Flat roof. PLAN: T-plan. EXTERIOR: single storey. Street front, 7 windows arranged 1:5:1. Central section has Tuscan Doric pilasters with entablature inscribed ST ANN'S WELL and balustrade, 5 round moulded arches with keystones and moulded imposts each with a single 2-light window with fanlight. Either side single slightly projecting rusticated square pavilions with pediments, each has a round moulded arch with keystone and moulded imposts containing C20 double doors and overlight. Similar articulation to side and rear facades of pavilions. Returns have 2 windows between rusticated piers with round moulded arches with keystones and moulded imposts containing 2-light windows with fanlights. Rear has curved wall with moulded parapet and 5 casement windows with a central 3-light window flanked by single light windows and flanked by 2-light windows. INTERIOR: retains open hall and many original features, such as the shallow tri-partite coved ceiling, plastered beams with decoration, marble pillars, plaster roundels, tiled floors, Art Nouveau glass, panelled doors with oval overlights. The pump or well reputed to survive in situ, in sunken basement to the rear of building. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 116).

Listing NGR: SK0581573522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463315

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 116

End of official listing