This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

GALTRES CHAMBERS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GALTRES CHAMBERS

List entry Number: 1257941

Location

GALTRES CHAMBERS, 2, 4 AND 6, COPPERGATE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: York

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 14-Mar-1997

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 463292

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW COPPERGATE 1112-1/28/273 (South East side) Nos.2, 4 AND 6 Galtres Chambers

GV II

Shops and offices. Dated 1906, with later shopfronts. Orange brick in English garden wall bond, and faience resembling ashlar, with faience dressings; brick stacks with faience cornices on Westmorland slate roof. Edwardian Baroque style. EXTERIOR: 3-storey 6-bay front, divided by quoined pilaster strips, right end bays canted on corner. Gabled entrance bay has doorcase of sunk-panelled pilasters, moulded modillion cornice, semicircular open pediment with oversize dropped keyblock, and recessed glazed door and screen in hollow-chamfered architrave. Doorcase flanked by single fixed light windows with Art Nouveau glazing and moulded sills. Windows above are paired sashes, 1-pane on first floor, 12-pane on second floor. Gable treated as open pediment with mutule cornice and dropped keyblock, over relief moulded cartouche containing building name, and date panel with semicircular hoodmould. Altered plate glass shopfronts flank entrance bay, between faience pilasters with moulded imposts and poppy head frieze blocks. Other upper floor windows are tripled 1-pane sashes, taller on first floor than on second floor. All windows have moulded sill bands; on first floor lintels are cornices enriched with egg-and-dart mouldings: on second floor, lintels are formed by moulded impost band to pilaster strips. Corner bays rise into keyed semicircular gables between ball and pedestal finials, enclosing sunk roundels filled with moulded festoons. Bays to left of entrance have plain frieze and mutule cornice. INTERIOR: not inspected. Included for group value on this pivotal site at the junction between Castlegate and Coppergate.



Listing NGR: SE6036951662

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SE 60374 51666

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257941 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 07:50:15.

End of official listing