15 AND 17, CONEY STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257977

Date first listed: 19-Aug-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Mar-1997

Statutory Address: 15 AND 17, CONEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 15 AND 17, CONEY STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257977 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2018 at 18:19:33.

Location

Statutory Address: 15 AND 17, CONEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: York (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 60186 51841

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

YORK

SE6051NW CONEY STREET 1112-1/28/253 (South West side) 19/08/71 Nos.15 AND 17 (Formerly Listed as: CONEY STREET No.15) (Formerly Listed as: CONEY STREET No.17)

GV II

Shop and offices. Early C19; No.15 modernised, and No.17 rebuilt, in C20, re-using early C18 column, early C19 bow window and eaves cornice. No.15 of orange brick in Flemish bond, with marble faced office front, timber eaves cornice, and slate hipped roof with brick stack: No.17 of red brick in stretcher bond with painted stone column. EXTERIOR: 4 storeys; 2-window front to No.15, 1-window front to No.17. Shopfront to No.15 has glazed double doors recessed between plate glass windows, all with semicircular fanlights. Ground floor of No.17 has flat carriage arch with reset Tuscan column forming the right jamb, and plate glass shopfront. First floor windows to No.15 are 3-light shallow canted bays with 1-pane sashes, fluted friezes and moulded cornices: re-used window to No.17 is shallow tripartite bay with 16-pane centre sash between 8-pane sashes, beaded panel frieze and plain cornice. Windows on second floor of both buildings are 12-pane sashes with flat arches of gauged brick; on third floor, unequal 9-pane sashes: all have painted stone sills. Dentilled modillion eaves cornice, returned at right end of No.15, continued across No.17 beneath plain parapet, masking roof. Inverted bell rainwater head at right end of No.15. INTERIORS: not inspected: RCHM record the following. No.15 has mid C19 fireplace and moulded cornice in first floor front room. No.17 has early C19 fireplace and moulded cornice in first floor front room. HISTORICAL NOTE: No.15 was built as offices for the newspaper 'The York Courant', continuing in this use until 1991. Re-used features in No.17 survive from the George Inn, formerly occupying the site and demolished 1869. (City of York: RCHME: The Central Area: HMSO: 1981-: 126).



Listing NGR: SE6018451838

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463243

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of the City of York V Central, (1981), 126

End of official listing