TOMB TO PHILIP HEACOCK 20 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1257987
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1997
Statutory Address:
TOMB TO PHILIP HEACOCK 20 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TOMB TO PHILIP HEACOCK 20 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257987 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 22:58:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
TOMB TO PHILIP HEACOCK 20 METRES WEST OF CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
High Peak (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 05587 73548

Details

BUXTON

SK0573NE ST JOHN'S ROAD 616-1/3/70 (North side) Tomb to Philip Heacock 20m west of Church of St John the Baptist

GV II

Tomb to Philip Heacock. 1851. Ashlar gritstone with copper inscription plaque and iron railings. Square plan. Tall open arched canopy with dome, each face has a moulded round headed arch with keystone supported on square pilasters with bases, topped with plain pedimented decoration with laurel wreath and acroteria at corners. This encloses a weathered altar memorial with copper inscribed plaque to the east face and the Duke of Devonshire's ducal arms to the north face. This alter supports an ovoid urn with gadrooned base and moulded top. The memorial has an enclosing gritstone kerb with iron railings; the main verticals with urn and steeple finials, the others with bifurcating stems and steeple finials. Philip Heacock was the Duke of Devonshire's agent from 1801-1851.

Listing NGR: SK0558773548

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
463211
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].