THE OLD RECTORY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257990

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1997

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, A19

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD RECTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 19:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD RECTORY, A19

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Hambleton (District Authority)

Parish: Thormanby

National Grid Reference: SE 49343 74851

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 47 SE THORMANBY A19 (North East side) 1335/4/10002 The Old Rectory

II

Rectory with added schoolroom, now house. 1737, schoolroom added 1786, altered 1837. Red brick with painted stucco. Welsh slate and pantile roofs. 2 rendered chimney stacks, and single external gable stack. 2 storey and garret, 3 storey to rear. South-west street front has projecting porch with paired pilasters and pediment. Double 3-panel outer doors and inner part-glazed door with overlight. Either side single projecting shallow bays with pilasters and tripartite margin light sashes. Above narrow central 12-pane glazing bar sash flanked by single broader 16-pane glazing bar sashes. To right single storey former schoolroom with hipped slate roof, and single 12-pane glazing bar sash to south-east side. Rear fa?ade, 3 storey with projecting gabled wing to right. Central doorway with glazed lean-to porch, windows to ground floor mostly C20 casements, except former schoolroom to left with tripartite glazing bar sash. Above various glazing bar sash windows. INTERIOR. Full height wooden staircase with square balusters, turned newel post and curved wooden handrail. Bay windows have good quality panelled shutters and window seats in wooden surrounds. Dining room has segmental alcoves, moulded cornice and stripped early C18 fireplace. Former schoolroom has imported similar fireplace and shutters. Drawing room has early C19 fireplace. Panelled doors throughout with moulded surrounds. Upper floors have early C19 fireplaces, boxed in beams and some original C18 doors with original brass handles and locks. Rear room on second floor has very unusual curved plaster ceiling. Front ridge has original roof trusses and exposed purlins. This rectory was built for the Rev John Nesfield, extended in 1786 for the Rev Digby Caley and altered in 1837 for the Rev John Higginson.



Listing NGR: SE4934374851

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463214

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing