THE CENTRAL HALL AND ATTACHED PROMENADE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1257993

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1988

Statutory Address: THE CENTRAL HALL AND ATTACHED PROMENADE, ST JOHNS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE CENTRAL HALL AND ATTACHED PROMENADE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1257993 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 15:17:55.

Location

Statutory Address: THE CENTRAL HALL AND ATTACHED PROMENADE, ST JOHNS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Derbyshire

District: High Peak (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 05575 73459

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BUXTON

SK0573SE ST JOHN'S ROAD, Pavilion Gardens 616-1/4/108 (South side) 04/10/88 The Central Hall and attached Promenade

GV II

Central hall and promenade, now coffee shop, restaurant and small shops. 1870, central hall burnt 1982 , rebuilt 1984. By Edward Milner. Narrow coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings, cast-iron and glass under Welsh slate roofs. EXTERIOR: single storey long range and two 2-storey halls. South front 18 windows, divided into 15 window single storey range to east and 3 window 2 storey block to west. East range has low stone walls and rusticated ashlar pilasters between windows, glazed roofs with ornate cast-iron ridge railings with crown finials. From left to right a gabled entrance with double doors and sidelights, a 4-light, a 2-light, a 3-light and a 2-light cross casement window, then 2 doorways both with glazed doors and overlights, then six 5-light similar windows, a pair of double doors and beyond a 2-light cross casement. Set-back behind bays 4, 5 and 6, a 2 storey square hall with 3 windows to 3 glazed facades, under glazed hipped roof. Central 3-light windows flanked by 2-light windows with cast-iron columns between and at corners. Central, square plan hall to west, 2 storeys, 3 windows, projects slightly. Divided 3:5:3 lights with window panels between floors, central section projects, with broad pediment to top. Ground floor has 9-pane lights and upper floor 12-pane lights. Tall cast-iron columns at corners and between windows, all with very ornate cast-iron capitals. Broad fascia board at cornice level, and slate roof topped by central octagonal cupola with 8 round headed windows and 2 stage octagonal spire. INTERIOR: open well to central hall with some free standing cast-iron pillars; they are octagonal on spreading base and have ornate capitals. The base bears the inscription N Bailey/SON AND CO /engineers /MILES /PLATTING /MANCHESTER. There are also ornate iron roof trusses, supported on stone corbels to rear and engaged iron columns to front. This hall and promenade were built as part of the complex of entertainment buildings constructed on the north side of the Pavilion Gardens, which were donated to the town by the 7th Duke of Devonshire. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Derbyshire: Harmondsworth: 1953-1986: 117).

Listing NGR: SK0557573459

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 463217

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Derbyshire, (1953), 117

End of official listing